During the government-appointed inspector’s land allocations hearings that lasted from October 2012 to June 2013, it was agreed that a local plan should be formulated for the Arnside & Silverdale AONB Area. This meant that the AONB area was to be dealt with separately from the rest of the South Lakeland District Council area.
This plan is expected to be released in January 2016. The compilation of the plan will be led by South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council. Local parish councils, Arnside, Silverdale, Warton, Beetham and the Yealands will be invited to participate along with other local groups who represent village interests such as APPT.
The Local Plan for the AONB Area will be shaped by the strategic framework and will address the following issues:-
- Review of settlement boundaries
- Delivery of sites to accommodate around 123 dwellings on the South Lakeland side by 2025
- The identification of sites for new employment;
- Cross linkages with AONB Management Plan;
- Landscape and Building design;
- Important features and characteristics to be retained/enhanced;
- Areas in need of improvement;
- Biodiversity enhancement/nature improvement areas;
- New visitor facilities;
- Car parking and traffic management;
- Strategic pedestrian and cycle networks