WHAT IS A COMMUNITY LED PLAN?
- A DOCUMENT setting out what local people value in their community, what they would like to change or safeguard. A vision for the community’s future.
- An ACTION PLAN to deliver projects which achieve the aspirations of local people.
- A PROCESS which a community goes through together.
A plan by any other name…
- Also known as Village Plans, Community Plans and Parish Plans.
- NOT a Neighbourhood Plan!
- NOT a Village Design Statement either.
Community Led Planning in South Lakeland
- 37 of the 71 parishes have produced plans or are currently producing one.
- 7 of these parishes are updating existing plans or have updated them recently.
- A Community Led Plan could help set the agenda for the Local Area Partnership.
What can they do for the community?
- Foster COMMUNITY ACTIVITY, often building community spirit and bringing about action.
- Attract FUNDING, providing ‘evidence of local needs’ for grant applications.
- Affect POLICY, informing local councils about what issues matter most to communities.
- Provide a FOUNDATION for a Neighbourhood Plan.
What can they do for the local authority?
- Provide an OVERVIEW of what communities want.
- EMPOWER communities and encourage them to take action for themselves.
- IMPROVE RELATIONSHIPS – working together on projects identified by the community that fit with the local authority’s own priorities.
How does it work?
- It starts with everyone getting on board.
- Evidence is gathered.
- The plan is laid out.
- The community is consulted.
- The feedback is analysed.
- A vision is created and the plan drafted.
- Actions are developed, prioritised and published.
- Make it happen!